First Methodist Conroe was organized in 1870. There was no designated meeting place other than in homes. Later, meetings were held in a one room school located at the corner of Sherman and 3rd Street. There were 12 or 15 members and Sunday School classes were held two Sundays each month by both Baptists and Methodists.
On December 19, 1880, thirty-three men pledge $418.50 for the first church building. Isaac Conroe donated land for the first church building at the corner of Davis and First. Isaac Conroe recorded that year, "Methodist are in majority here." In 1887, as our town grew, the first pastor W.S. South rode horseback from Bryan, Texas to preach once a month.
The building located at the corner of Main and Phillips, known as the “second sanctuary” was completed in 1917 at a cost of $11,208.14. In spite of a temporary attendance setback due to an epidemic of Spanish influenza, membership of First Methodist Conroe grew to 400, with 250 enrolled in Sunday School.
In July 1941, the cornerstone of the third sanctuary rested on the same site, accommodating the building to be completed that December. The old church facility served as an educational building for several years until damaged by a storm. During this period Sunday School classes met in various nearby locations.
The history of First Methodist Conroe is not complete. With the dedication of the current facility in November 2000, there appeared a new, enlarged era of service in which the doors are opened wide to all who come.
Currently, the congregation is undertaking an ambitious task of reaching the community in a greater way, updating the current facility, expanding children and youth programming, and investing in weekly worship through Vision 2020.